haha - eurocrack indeed!!!

What support essential modules are you referring to besides Maths? I like the looks and function generator from Frap Tools called Sapel that looks cool to add at a later point. I already have a mini maths version in my 0-coast so want different approach to Buchla Serge function and noise generator. Intellijel Quadrax with the expander would get me into Buchla territory with two modules but like Frap Tool modules is fairly large in terms of HP footprint.

these are all really modulation sources - Maths I class as a complex modulator - I mean the bits that fit in between

yes the headphone splitters (intellijel hub, plankton etc etc etc) are a good start and are fine for passive mults - although they can get a bit annoying - i have a few of these, but in practice use either 2hp mults or stackcables

a few very useful techniques for expanding and creating interesting modulation:

1 mult the outputs from 4 modulation outputs - 1 copy to a modulation intput, 1 to a 4x4 matrix mixer - matrix mixer outs to different modulation inputs - instead of 4 you have 8 related modulation outputs! alternately use 3 modulation sources and send the 4th output back into the 4th input (feedback)

2 take a modulation output mult it a modulation input and the kinks top section (rectifier) - mult all outputs of the top section of kinks - 1 copy of each output to a modulation input - 2 of them patch to the middle section (logic) - patch outputs to modulation inputs - patch the last multed output from the top section to the bottom section (sample and hold) - add a trigger - patch the output to another modulation input - instead of 1 you have 7 related modulation outputs

3 attenuverters - patch a modulation source into an attenuator - pathc output into modulation input - attenuate and polarise the modulation as required

4 sequential switch pt 1 - patch a modulation source into the input - patch outputs to modulation sources - input trigger to switch - a single modulation source -> 4 modulation inputs

5 sequential switch pt 2 - patch 4 multed modulation sources to the inputs - patch output to a single modulation source - input trigger to switch - 4 modulation sources -> 1 modulation input

etc etc etc etc
the more of these little tricks you can do and the more you combine them - the more interesting the modulation you will be able to get out of a relatively simple and small set of modulation sources

I did have a major break through this week in learning how to control the modular from Elektron gear and also how to record and play the modular from Ableton Live DAW. Having this ability is quite powerful! If you spend a lot of time and cash on modular, it is wise to be able to sample and record your findings and use for later purpose in music production. The Doepfer A190-4 USB/MIDI to CV module was a pain to figure out but have it as part of my toolbox. For west coast touch controller, my new Make Noise 0-CTRL is tons of fun and super cool. I also use it with the 0-coast that got me started on modular a couple of years ago. I figure with COVID-19 lockdowns and no ability to travel to Europe for a vacation, I spent the money on new music tools and my studio.

-- sacguy71

I'm on the fence regarding these all-in-one packages - they are great especially imo the doepfer ones, but, there's always something annoying in them! anyway great you managed to get it working!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities