Hi there!

I'm considering for quite some time to get into modular and this is the year.

I've been making music on hardware for years, playing live on +/- the same setup, with also some semi modular synth (MS20mini and a DFAM), that i'm now use to control via CV (from an analog four sequencer). I've mangled a bit in VCVrack but can't really get my head wrapped around it (specially because I'm more used to explore with hands on than mouse). I think I got pretty well the basic concepts of a patch.

I make techno, most of the time, with touch of ambiant and IDM, and perform live (when I have gigs so maybe 3 time a year lol). Actually my set up is : TR8 for the classics drums, analogfour, a DFAM, and the octatrack (acting as my mixer, and main sampler). Everything goes down in an OTO boom for that final glue touch.

I already now exactly what I want to do with my future rack:
- I need something to create synth line and texture, no drums at all. Something like you could ear on release on Warm Up or Illegal Alien, or my "dream synth line"
- I want it to be small, portable (as I will add it to my current setup and don't want to carry a truckload)
- I need it to be an improvisation instrument. Something I could set up before a gig and play kind of the same way during a set (no big changes, making it a common story thru the tracks)
- I can integrate the DFAM in it, but it's not necessary

First question that comes in my mind is what size to start, and does the 1U range worth it?
I've oriented myself on something between 86-104Hp/6-7u so here are a few case option:
- Intellijel 7U 104hp stealth case: expensive but apparently well made, really light and portable. If someone has it I would be curious to know what module they put and use in the 1U row? And does the extra bag mandatory to travel?
- This one: https://www.synthesizer.gr/modular-systems-en/eurorack-cases-en/Synthesizer-GR-Hard-Case-98hp-7u%20-en
cheaper, but would I need something like a On/off switch module?
- A custom made, with a Konstant lab PSU and a busboard (around 665€). Around 4-5kg with lid, and I can attach a strap to it to travel. Does that seems heavy, and does the price seems fair?
- The same custom made case with a meanwell but apparently those are cheap, and very limited?

I need advice, because I understand that this is a important choice, and I don't want to have to buy another case in 1 year. If you have any other good, affordable and findable option, let me know!

And last but not least, this is the rack I'm currently planning (of course I expect it to change), if you have any suggestion, let me know: ModularGrid Rack

That's all, thanks for reading!