Thread: Drum Rack

I have a 150HP cabinet coming in very soon. This cabinet will be used to house a modular drum machine/pattern generator/sequencer with an emphasis on performance. Live performance, that is. Ideally, when this thing is complete, I want to be able to program rhythm patterns on-the-fly, trigger pre-programmed rhythm patterns, trigger algorithm-generated rhythms, or any combination thereof.

My first challenge is to choose a decent drum sound synthesizer/sampler. It would be nice to have the capability of using sampled drum sounds but sampling is not a must-have. A drum synth that can generate great percussive sounds is acceptable. Or some module that combines the two would be even better. Eight voice total polyphony is my desired target.

For on-the-fly rhythm programming and the triggering of pre-programmed rhythm patterns, I could just use something like an Arturia Beatstep Pro, a Korg SQ 64, or something else that I may not have yet considered to control the sound generators that will eventually populate this rack. But when we get to algorithmic drum pattern generation, I really don't know where to even start looking.

I figured it would be a good idea to ask someone who is a lot smarter than me. And this exactly why I am here. If you had 150HP of rack space to dedicate to the ultimate modular drum machine for live performance, how would you build it? I welcome your insights and thank you for any help you may be able to provide.