if you are thinking of getting an es9 - I would say get that as it doesn't need any modular -> line level converters - it's a modular interface - might save you some money in the long run + you can integrate with vcv rack to have a play with different types of module etc
I usually recommend a starter kit of links, kinks, shades and veils - or other modules that satisfy the same functions - kinks is discontinued - so buy it if you can find it asap - other wise the wmd/ssf toolbox is a good substitute, you've got an intelijel quad vca - so that's close enough to veils - links is a buffered mult/mixer combination - 1 section of each and a middle section that can be used as either or a precision adder - which is used for adding 2 quantized sequences together for transposing one sequence with the other (ie change the root note)

I also really like matrix mixers - slightly more complicated to get your head around but not that bad - really useful for mixing modulation sources together - or creating feedback loops - or send/return for effects

Which brings me to - you could really do with a better modulation source - ochd is ok but it's not clockable and there's no reset - so it's just free running - I'd also contemplate this as an early purchase - I really like Maths especially for beginners because of the 'Maths Illustrated Supplement' (google) - which is an excellent primer for patch-programming - and patching modular synths in general - download and read through it even if you don't buy Maths!!! alternatively something like Pamela's New Workout - which is basically a clock source, with clock division multiplication and different waveforms so you can open your vcas!!!

-- JimHowell1970

No Offense taken! I'm sure you get tired of saying the same thing over again lol
Think the ES-9 will be best for me to pick up ASAP then and that will also grant some utility with the 8 outs.
I actually was looking at links and kinks before I took to here to ask advice. Also I've never used a matrix mixer, but definitely seems interesting. Think I will go ahead and make those purchases!
Maths I went back and forth with as I've seen its popularity as a beginner module and seems like I wouldnt have trouble reselling it if I ever wanted to. So I will go ahead and make that a priority as well.

Think thats enough to help steer me in the right direction and make some choices ensuring I have a well rounded setup. I'm going to update my rack on here and I'm sure I'll be posting again asking for some patch ideas, or scouring the forums for them as well.

Really appreciate your feedback and hope your move goes well! I'm currently transitioning into a 5th wheel camper full time, so I'm about in the same boat lol All which supports me finally making the move into modular :)