It'll work as a mixer... but then you give up the ability to use it as VCAs. You could press the Maths module into mixing duty if need be.
-- Ronin1973

Thanks, that's good to know. Is it a case of jumpers at the back to switch between VCA/Mix modes, or is it dependent on how it's patched? If it's the former, I'd maybe be able to live with it, as that's kind of versatile.

Good point about the smaller clones. I'd envisaged the bottom row as a bit more spacious for ease of use and playability, but maybe there can be some compromise.

-- ryanthegecko

I don't know the ins-and-outs of that particular module. I have an Intellijel quad VCA that also performs as a mixer. But these types basically work the same way: the bias knob will act as a volume pot, each output is normal'ed and summed to the next channel's output unless a patch cable is inserted.

If you'd like to create a volume envelope for your sound, typically you'd want to start and end with 0 amplitude. If the bias knob is already set partially open, then the envelope will start at that volume level and end at that volume level... not zero (assuming you're using positive voltages).

It's probably possible to use one or two of the VCA channels as VCAs.. then use the rest of the available channels to mix volumes with... if you're creative with your patching. But a dedicated four channel mixer would be a useful addition to this set-up.