Whenever I design a case, I'm always asking myself - what is the general use-case or ideal system for the task at hand.

It would appear to me you're looking for a complex synth voice of some kind in the first setup and not a full on groove-box style approach. Where the second iteration looks a bit more random/percussive for whatever reason.

I've found that since the Mother32/DFAM come with a powered skiff, that I end up pulling it from my larger cases to use externally, but still patched to the system to save space. My question would be - what do you hope to get from the DFAM in the case? If its just for modular drums, it is really best at handling 1x drum tone at a time in a small system. You can do a little patching hack where you use the sequencer to control noise level - but its pretty simplistic with only the 8 steps to work with and no reset input for the DFAM (shame). Great for 4/4 kicks/percussion however - or if you modulate the 'time' w/ CV you can get more complex rhythms, however extremely hard to work with to get in-time with the rest of the setup (if that's indeed an issue/goal for your system). More complex systems with more CV control/switches allows greater possibilities of utilizing the DFAM as a full on drum voice, but takes some sophisticated patching/sequencing of CV inputs to get unique per step drum sounds.

The second system seems a lot more drum/percussion oriented setup to me given the main sequencing being the Varigate 4 / choice of sound modules. Is the idea to use the system in a live composition context? or just for patching in the studio to get cool sounds?

Based on module choices, I couldn't say whether the systems would work for any given idea, as we don't know the overall goal for use.

What is your reason for going modular in the first place? - just to break the building blocks of normalled synths, or for a specific purpose (ambient wave machine, groove box w/ bass & drums, complex synth voice, etc.) In my personal experience w/ modular, over the years I have drifted towards setting up standalone systems that complete a specific task. I have my main groove box system w/ everything needed for a live improvised set in 2x 104hp (Intellijel 7u performance case), but I also have a second case dedicated strictly to drum voices/sequencing w/ modular control, another case for sequencing/mono bass voice, and another for mixing/fx. It is called eurocrack for a reason!

You can certainly get all of the functionality you need in one case, but you have to know what the goal is, and that will drive your choice of modules over pure aesthetic/price, but for utility as it is needed to make the sounds you want to make with adequate control.