I think each of us has a different definition for "functionality," so your approach to a unique, personalized instrument is vastly different than mine, which is great. Yes, this will likely do the things you want unless your idea of experimental evolving textures includes sounds that you would find in something like the Spherical Wavetable Navigator, Panharmonium, Rings, or other wacky digital modules. I like some stuff like that, so your plan wouldn't be quite as functional for me. -- farkas

That's a good point; some of this stuff is subjective but here I am looking for an objective answer to a question phrased in objective terms. I guess fundamentally I'm checking whether there's some obvious blind spot in my plan--as is often the case in these kinds of posts from what I've seen--but I've been fairly reassured.

Either way, it seems like you have a good understanding of synthesis. Dive in. Buy some modules. You'll know if your plan is a good one once you start patching. Have fun with it!

-- farkas

Cheers farkas, thanks for your time. I hope you have fun too.