1. Try to ripoff someone I like and see how I can reproduce their style in modular. This helps me get away from my typical patterns and think about areas of my synth that I'm not working with as much, or different approaches to modules I'm already using. And of course as you do this you end up adding your own ideas and flair, so it becomes a nice hybrid piece in a way.
    -- troux

This is a great idea indeed. I've used it many times when I'm trying to learn new stuff but never though of using it for the modular synth. It's really a good way of learning, at least until you can come up with your own original material.

I often think it would be easier to stay focused if I had a friend who was also into synths, we could work towards something together. Then I think to myself that I could likely find a bud to learn with online someplace, but I feel like I'm at my best when I interact with other people in person. So I end up spending my practice time doing basically everything you listed, but sporadically and without much focus.
-- Footage

Yes, absolutely. It's a bit like when you want to start going to the gym to get fit, it's always easier if you've got a pal who's also doing the same, it's good to have some with whom you can share the experience.

Plus, not recording things can also be a mistake, even if it's obvious that the "screwing around" in those cases is just that. But at the same time, if you have the take in your DAW...well, hell, ANYTHING'S fair game once it's on the hard drive. So it doesn't work in of itself...but what if you dubbed a few more things onto it? Or what if you used it as a layer in some other work? Or chopped it into loops? Or, or, or... This is part of the rationale Brian Eno's used for many years...true, it's resulted in a HUGE library of tapes of all sorts that he keeps track of, but if you know what's on them and how to work with those recordings, they're golden. In fact, whole albums of his have come out of this, with the most notable example being "The Shutov Assembly".
-- Lugia

It makes sense, more so with modular synths as once you un-patch it's gone for good, it's hard to get the same patch and make it sound the same again. I guess I'll be recording more from now on. I'll be also listening more Brian Eno :)

I wasn't aware of the "Oblique Strategies" and I think it's a fantastic idea, I'll make sure to give it a try when I find myself stuck. Thanks for sharing the online version Farkas.