Like I mentioned, it's all a matter of taste, but I find (and I think some folks here would agree) that the cost to effectiveness ratio of modular drums is not all that great. I've spent a fair amount of money on drum modules and rhythm sequencing options and ultimately enjoy the process and results of my $300 Behringer RD8 much more than most of the drums I come up with in my rack. Basimilus's sound and modulation versatility are excellent, and it's fun to stumble upon interesting or random rhythmic ideas with modules like Euclidean Circles (which I may end up buying one of these days), but overall I find modular drums as a good supplement to external drums. Elektron makes great drum machines, though I didn't click with their interface, so the immediacy, versatility, and value of the Roland x0x-style drum machines makes a LOT more sense to me. Drums and polyphony are where I find weaknesses in the modular approach, so those are the external sources I incorporate with my rack.

The feedback on this is consistent and, as I think about it, most of the videos I have watched use external drums as you suggest as well. So I get it that this approach has been tried and found the be lacking or just not very practical.

As I was thinking about the feedback I realized what I really want to build is a groovebox with a modular interface that I can plug some headphones in and experimenter away without needing to connect a bunch of outboard gear. This will be set up on my coffee table (Ok, I don't own a coffee table currently, but you get the idea). But we don't always get what we want so...

So I guess I will look into the Electron's (Octatrack and Digitact) as well as the Roland TR-8 and whatever else comes up as I research. I have this bad feeling I will buy one of these and then spend the next few years mastering it and never get around to actually buying the modular system this was meant to support. What didn't you like about the Electron interfaces? Is it very menu divey? In my day job I do a lot of interface and usability work so I get cranky with hardware menu systems that use a postage stamp sized screen for complex processes.

The other option is to start with the modular system and include some minimal drum support (maybe a pair of pico drums2 plus the BIA ) and when if this is not satisfactory, I look at outboard gear with a better sense of what I need.

Edit Check out the WMD drum modules. The Crucible, Crater, Chimera, and Fracture are pretty awesome.

Will do! I haven't looked at any of those yet as best as I recall.

The Cs-L looks killer. I've got the Furthrrr Generator and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands. :)

I really like the look of the Instruo modules. Despite me going on about one wanting just one box I admit to daydreaming about getting a custom made black and gold rack just to hold them, just for aesthetics reasons. Good to have dreams.

After you start getting some modules in your rack, you will know what you need next. You will find yourself reaching for something that isn't there, and that's the next module you need to get. The Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4 or Disting EX is a good module to get early on because it covers so many of those functions that you don't realize you will need. Take a look through the manual for the huge list of functions it can serve. It's kind of menu-divey and not super fun to use, but I'm finding it more and more valuable every day. I'm still finding new things it can do.

I have been avoiding picking modules that require more than casual menu use but did already add the Disting Mk4. It just has some much to offer it seems worth the hassle.

Keep us updated and let us know what you decide. Have fun!

Thank you for all of your help. It's really helpful.

I see the rack above updated when I ripped out the QoP and friends but it isn't showing the most recent additions unless you click through.
Right now I am just moving things around and trying to cover all the functional bases. But I will build slowly and make adjustments as I go.

After gutting things I was a bit lost on what to do. I ended up borrowing the approach used in this minimal setup with some replacements and a bunch of additions.

-- farkas