Thread: waves

OK...now you're thinking! Yes, you can drive the M32 with a BSP, but then you lose those sequencing channels to it. However, I do notice there's something missing, and it's probably the needed fix: a keyboard controller/sequencer. And Arturia has exactly that: the Keystep.

Looking at my Keystep and one of my BSPs, there are IN and OUT ports for clocking on both. And it's an easy step to daisy-chain or mult a single clock between them and the M32, since they all like positive-going pulses. So...here's what I suggest:

1) Get a Keystep. They're cheap. You're going to connect this to the M32 via MIDI. By doing this, the M32 will then accept the MIDI clock as its clock, then allowing you to use the M32's TEMPO as a clock divider for that MIDI clock. That's one of the M32's 'hidden' functions. The Keystep will allow you to either play the M32 directly OR use the Keystep's clocked arpeggiator OR the Keystep's internal sequencer, and then the M32's sequencer can be freed up to do things such as sequencing the M32's VCF, or doing onboard transpositions, etc etc etc. Basically, this opens up a lot of new avenues for a whopping $119. Now, you'll use its SYNC IN to lock it up with...

2) The Beatstep Pro. This is your master clock. Connect its sync out to the Keystep AND, via a mult, ALSO to the Pam's. This locks up everything. Plus, it now frees up the BSP's two sequencer channels to use on the modular via the CV/gate/velocity ports, AND you also have the onboard trigger sequencer if you want to make things (including the Pam's) behave in different rhythmic patterns, OR to feed these to some logic and set the Pam's patterns against them to generate more elaborate gating patterns.

Now that...that's a real solution, and one which opens up possibilities!