Thanks a lot Jim, this is a big help.

NP

I wasn't thinking that the MFX was to be used a s a filter, I though it was an effect for reverb, echo etc. I see it also does auto panning and phasing etc. So it can be used as a transient shaper, so I take it this is more the filtering side of it?

My mistake - I've only got Pams from alm and confused it with a filter - it was late!!! in that case you will probably find you want at least one more filter, at some point...

The peaks clone looks amazing, that's ideal. Looking at the After Late Audio ones. I watched a video on it and the guy was using branches to get a nice kick and snare, would this be a good option for some percussion, just would like something in there to get a beat. I was planning on the Coral as it has so many voice and would work well with the OXI one sequencer I have, drums, chords etc.

I often use my peaks for percussion - but I have a lot more modulation options - and I'd recommend using it for modulation...

you can create a 'beat' by feeding noise (or any other audio source for that matter) into a vca and opening the vca with a trigger from Pams or Maths - I would not worry about this initially though - I would concentrate on learning to patch and getting to know whatever the first batch of modules you buy inside out

I'm really stuck on the mixer side of things, can you recommend a couple that would be good for the CsL utputs as you mentioned. I'll leave the matrix mixer until I find and learn more about them.

any basic mono mixer will do - a lot of people like moog cp3 clones - AISynthesis harmonic mixer for example - as it has some gain - so adds some nice harmonics - or a happy nerding 3*mia, or a mutable shades clone - you will probably find you want multiples of these types of module! you'll probably want an end of chain mixer with send and return at some point in the future... I like the tesseract modular tex-mix (as it's inexpensive, expandable and available as diy) for this purpose

So if I was thinking the MFX was going to be my reverb/delay and you recommend delay and reverb, what other modules would you be thinking, something like the FX Aid?

I'm not sure of the algorithms on the MFX - personally I'd go for a couple of fx aids - at least one of them the pro (so you can see what you are doing easily) - imo it's better to have at least 2 effects units - 1 for delay and another for reverb - some will offer delay into reverb, but that's not necessarily what you'll want to patch - maybe you'll want to have vco into reverb into filter

Case No. 2 , lol, was hoping not to go down that route but I think its inevitable lol.

yes, says he with 8 cases...

I'm planning on going in next wednesday to my shop and picking up the Peaks Clone, ALM Tangled Qaurtet and MFX, if you can give me some advice on the reverb delay and mixer I could maybe them as well and then that would do me till I get my head round the rest lol

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities