Without naming any names, quite a few of the modular synth build videos are VERY suspect, especially when it comes to cramming a functional modular into a small cab like a Palette 62, etc. It IS possible, but you really have to know what you're doing before attempting that sort of build. Add the wrong module, and you got bupkiss. A better use for these small cabs is for "mission-specific" builds...such as needing a specialized filter setup for incoming signals that you want to modify in real time.

Now, what I would suggest is to get a synth that's easier to learn on. You've got a Neutron, but I don't think it's quite as clear to work with as my suggestion...which would be to drop $650 on a B.2600. Fact is, the original ARP 2600 was THE educational synth in its day. It's what I learned on, along with many, many others. Even Stevie Wonder used them, with Braille markings, because it was easier to program and play than other modular choices for the vision-impaired. Once you've got some of that experience under your belt, THEN implement that skiff build, but turn it into a support cab for the 2600 that gives you extra modulation, sound generation, etc. That's exactly what my B.2600 is set up for, since I can patch anything with 1V/8va scaling and a positive trigger/gate between it and my Digisound 80 as they both "speak" that language.

But that aside, the 2600 is pretty much goofproof. You've got some internal routings that are prepatched, so you can make racket with it right out of the box, but the patchpoints interrupt those and allow you to do oodles of alternate routings or even patching between synths (like that Neutron). As "starting points", they're still unsurpassed, even in Uli's hands.