One other point about Maths: everyone uses it because the alternatives involve taking up even more space (quite a bit, in fact, in Eurorack) and still won't exactly do what Maths is capable of.

I actually DO have some things that can work in the same way...one of them is an EG&G Model 175 "Universal Programmer", another is a JAS arbitrary waveform generator with all analog controllability, and the last isn't workable right now because I need a tech that's not scared off by restoring and modding analog computers, and I've got three Systron-Donner 3300s that need to be refurbed into one fully-working one with synth I/O capabilities.

The latter weighs about 60 lbs and is the general size of a bedroom TV. The EG&G is bigger than most 1970s stereo receivers. And the JAS is SO rare and SO fiddly, I can't recommend it to anyone who's not got a lot of EE chops or doesn't have a soopergenius tech on hand. If you can find one, that is.

This is why Maths gets used all the time. It's not a "sheeple" thing at all...it comes down to the fact that it can do so much in only 20 hp. And if you've not seen it, here's MN's page on it...with what's really just a "basic" overview of the module: https://www.makenoisemusic.com/modules/maths Plus, it traces its lineage right back to Serge Tcherepnin and the famous Serge Dual Universal Slope Generator, so there's about 50 years of engineering and development there. Very hard to go wrong with that!