well I don't really class O&C or disting as utility modules - they are too complex - and you can only use one or 2 functions at a time - and for me neither is Maths really - I just see Maths as Maths (same any other DUSG descendant) - it can do multiple things - but I'd rather have all that functionality in individual modules - and always keep maths for it's own thing

they are great learning tools - especially disting, for working out what modules you need - as opposed to the ones you want - and Maths for learning patch programming techniques that are useful throughout modular synthesis (see the illustrated guide - it has 32 different patches for maths)

matrix mixers (doepfer or aisynthesis perhaps) , sequential switches (doepfer is hard to beat for a simple one), offset/attnuversion (shades or similar), utility mixers, sample and hold etc etc etc

mostly they are inexpensive and relatively small - compared to 'feature' modules which are often expensive and large -

basically all the different plumbing functions that are (effectively) hidden in fixed architecture synths - which is why newbies often forget about them - because they have never actually realised that they exist - these are the things that are used to multiply, modify and merge particularly modulation signals - they are the dull polish that make the shiny expensive modules actually shine - they are often also crucial in interfacing between modules that have different voltage requirements for i/o

a well balanced mature modular should be around 50% modulation sources and utility modules (including end of chain mixers, etc) - most of which should be utility modules imo - fewer modulation sources and more utilities will give more complex modulation options than a lot of modulation sources and fewer utilities - probably works out much cheaper too!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities