Yep, an RTL-SDR dongle is very much on the "need to implement" list here, but I want some way to address the SDR software via Ableton FIRST. Two ways come to mind...

1) Build an SDR demodulator into a VST. Basically, a stripped-down implementation of typical SDR software, but missing some of the more typical bells-n-whistles in favor of having direct connectivity to the DAW. Or...

2) M4L object that's been programmed to address an existing SDR software package from inside Live.

I don't know of either of these existing at present. Which, frankly, is a bit surprising...

EDIT: Oh, as for shortwave antennas that DON'T span your entire yard (which I have, but then...de WX9T, so...yeah), I suggest a WIRE VERTICAL!

What you need is as follows: wire (duh!), one of those steel screw-in yard stakes for large dogs, a couple of egg insulators, a screw-in hook, eyebolt or some other top support, solder, and something to solder with (I use a cigar torch lighter when out in the yard...works like the blowtorch it really is!). You can also add a matching balun, but since the frequency use will be all over the map, that's not apt to be that useful all the time.

So...right outside a window or something else you can get a wire out of, screw the pet stake into the ground. Then attach a loop of wire to the top of the stake with an egg insulator at the end. This is your bottom anchor. Once that's in place, get up higher from this (about two stories is all you need, but longer is better...typical for a lot of things, really) and attach the hook to something. Put another loop and insulator on that, then attach the long length of wire that serves as the antenna itself to the other side of the egg. Drop the long wire from there, then go back down to the base. Tension, then attach the antenna wire to the base egg by wrapping the wire back onto itself and soldering the twist. Oh, yeah...do that at the top, too, if you can manage it.

Now, run two wires from the radio or whatever to the base of the antenna. One of these should be the ground, and this is what you'll attach to the metal pet stake. Solder this to the ring that you'd attach a leash to, then solder the other wire to the bottom of the antenna wire itself. Connect this wire to the ANTENNA terminal or whatever you use to get a signal into your receiver. And that's IT. Takes up about a square foot of space, but performs like it occupies 50+ feet. I used one for quite some time with my Icom 731S (Japanese-market 10W version of the Icom 735 amateur transceiver...I like a challenge!) and managed to work about 30 states and two provinces with that and only 10 watts of phone signal. The key is in the vertical element...it has a very low "angle of incident" (also the title of a very insane Van der Graaf Generator track), so distant signals come in better. And also, this won't work as well if you try it upside-down...that feedpoint MUST be at ground level.

Anyway, this is a solution for anyone who's got a tiny yard or has to deal with HOA types who also want to use a shortwave receiver in their work, or for those using the Evaton RF Nomad, the receiver in the Koma Field Kit, etc.