Hi folks,

I really want an ambient build for Tangerine Dream soundscapes. Any ideas on what modules to get and so forth? I did read that they use a lot of sequencers from the Patch & Tweak book. I already have industrial techno covered so really digging a Tangerine Dream setup.
-- sacguy71

Do not look to copy what someone else is doing. Seek to create your own music. We are all inspired by others. The best thing to do is for your to decided which era of Tangerine Dream you want to emulate or are inspired by the most. TDream and their sound evolved as time went on, and who was in the band at the time. In the early 1970s on into the early 1980s the synths they were using were what was available - mostly all analog, and larger systems were modular analog like Moog (Look at the rig that Chris Franke had in the video someone else’s shared on this thread. As the 1980s to 1990s goes on, synth companies like ARP and Moog began to fade, and MIDI was only created in 1983 by Dave Smith. MIDI allowed the evolution of synths from most manufacturers to be connected and work. In the 1970s to 1980s synth voice polyphony was monophonic, because that was all the technology of the time permitted. As the 1980s progressed, digital synths came into being, and voice polyphony increased. Now, in 2020 you need to decide what types of sounds you want to work with. Analog? Digital? Monophonic? Polyphonic? Then work on building your studio including what you like, because you like the way it sounds.we now have the technology to create, or emulate the sounds of everything in high resolution, like never before. Each tool will add to your pallet in ways you may not even imagine right now. By playing with the various tools you will developed your our sound. If you are in Eurorack, most of us know you are talking about analog synths, but there are so many synths in EuroRack that are digital. For me I got a few of the the Roland System-1m because I like the sounds, they offer several plug-out vintage synth engines, and the System-1m has the CV and trigger connections to go deep in EuroRack. The System-1m is also 4 note polyphonic, where the plug-outs are only monophonic. You get explore EuroRack and get deep, and have 64 patch memories on the System-1m engine, and another 64 patch memories for whatever plug-out you install (I like the System-100 plug-out, but I have them all). Get some sequencers like the Arturia BeatStep Pro and you get to trigger 2 different synth tracks, and a percussion track. EuroRack has opened so very many doors for us all to explore and play. There really is no one TDream rig to copy, as their equipment library evolved over the many decades and incarnations of the band from their inception. No one list of equipment make you create what they did at any point in time. Get gear of your own and play!

Gary Turner
BehrTek@gmail.com
GaryDouglasTurner.com

CaptainBuzzR@gmail.com
CaptainBuzzR.com
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/view/95666

http://modulargrid.net/e/users/view/95666
http://SoundCloud.com/garydouglasturner