-> It hasn't gone anywhere, really. The idea of having all modules from the same maker goes back to the beginnings of synthesizers, when you had to rely on full systems from a manufacturer. The difference now is that all of these different full systems can 'talk' to each other plainly, whereas before you had all sorts of different CV and gate/trig standards that weren't always compatible. Full systems give users the ability to use that older paradigm...but they work just like any other modular in that they speak the same CV/gate 'language' and, if you desired, you could pull one of the full system's modules and drop something of your own preference in. That's the point of modular.

-- Lugia

I did not mean that and I get your point - but if you want this CV bus for instance you won't get it - "sorry we sell it just in our completes - thank you for your understanding" - if you like to buy a optomix or erbe-verb etc. - "sorry we sell it just in our completes - thank you for your understanding" - for the rich and wealthy people who can get that as a one-timer because the can afford...
or every ten years in a special occasion offer - which you can order just directly at their store - so a problem for non-US citizens...
you know what I am saying - I bought a system cartesian - I also bought their 104 skiff and wanted to go slowly (because I ain't no rich) the way in direction to a MN complete system - after checking to get the next MN module in black/gold I made that very nice experience I described above - I should have informed myself before all of that - I know - stupid me :)...
...and yes, at the end it is the FUNctionality and SOUND etc. that counts but also if you like your system in black(/gold) you will just get the silver versions of some of their modules because of their "open minded" strategy - and I know some small companies offering face-plates in black so you can exchange - but you know...