this user has left ModularGrid

I recommend the Erica Synths Black System III to start with if you like the demos from the Erica Synths modules. I have a lot of their modules and love them and the Black Sequencer is one of the best modular sequencers and user friendly for beginners. That said, I also have the Make Noise Shared System and enjoy that but it is better suited for pure weird experimental type stuff. Erica Synths is more focused on techno and dance style music but can do ambient as well. Make Noise takes effort to make dance techno music. BUT half of the fun is building a custom instrument from different modules versus an all in one system from one company like Make Noise or Erica Synths. I started off two years ago with a Doepfer A100 Basic System 1 based on recommendations from my modular synth friends in southern California when I was brand new to modular and also because at the time there were no Make Noise or Erica Synths systems available for sale at the time. It was helpful and good Doepfer modules sound great and easy to use. I added to the case and now have different brands. Also check out Verbos Performance System they are expensive but analog and sound incredible. Building own system is the most fun however and best learning process.