Thread: ES-8 vs ES-9

ES8 is good choice but you may find the 4 inputs a bit limiting especially if you like processing and effecting drum voices separately in your DAW. For this reason I paired mine with an es-6 so that may be an option later down the road and the combined size is still 4 hp smaller than the es9 albeit with less functionality. I personally thought that was a better option although I also considered Lugia's setup at the time but connecting firewire to tb3 was expensive as I needed 3 dongles in the end that were about £80 if I recall, but if you have the dongles already this would be a great option and I still think some of these older devices still look great in the rack with their LED displays.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. The rack is really a recommended build based on my goals of being able to interface with my Hydrasynth desktop and having as much flexibility/options that you could in a Rackbrute 6U. To date I only have the Maths and having been playing around a little bit with that connected up to my Hydrasynth. I think my next investment is going to be the ES8 so I can start playing around with CV Tools as well. Definitely open to suggestions if you have any based on my goal of using what I already have (Hydrasynth, Focusrite 8i6, Ableton, Push2 and Launchkey 49)

8 outputs are more than enough for me on the ES8 for modulation as I only use these when I run out of modulation sources in my rack or from my 2 neutrons

Confused me on this one...did you say above you also have an ES6 that you use with ES8 because you felt a bit limited?...but then you are saying 8 outputs are more than enough...sorry, maybe i'm completely misunderstanding your point, I'm really new to thd modular world.

Why do you need your cosmix, Intellijel audio I/O and the fx aid xl as you could effect and mix in Ableton using your es8 inputs.

This build was really a recommendation for something to consider based on wanting to integrate my Hydrasynth with whatever I build (I forgot to mention above I also have a Minibrute 2 that I may want to plug in as well)...but ultimately looking to run audio back into Ableton using my Focusrite 8i6. Definitely open to module suggestions as I'm limiting myself to the Rackbrute 6U for a variety of reasons...so want to pack as much flexibility into it as possible.

I thought adding the Intellijel audio I/O would allso me to run the audio out of my Hydrasynth through my modular for fun and then the outs from it to the input on my Focusrite? maybe i'm not thinking it through correctly...

JB