Considerable changes...here we go... ...and it's still 100% Doepfer! Whatcha think? -- Lugia

Considerable changes is a considerable understatement; it's a radically different instrument! Before I go in to why it won't be my instrument, I want to thank you for taking the time to complete this exercise--it's like crosswords or sudoku, isn't it?--as it's helpful for bouncing ideas around.

I'm gonna bang on this a bit and see if I can up the functionality in some other ways as well...even while staying 100% Dieter here. -- Lugia

So, having studied your model briefly, my impression (and this could be founded on my own inexperience) is that more has been sacrificed than has been gained.

In opting for a "larger system" (15U is nothing to sneeze at, I think) I don't think I should have to sacrifice ergonomics to the slimline series, so I've deliberately avoided those. They were designed, according to Dieter, for situations such as the little beauty cases that people like to put together. I'm happy for a few fewer, but easier to "handle" modules. And, again, I don't think much (if any) functionality is lost in my case.

Some of the more interesting VCOs that I think would have offered a more interesting timbral palette (especially the A-110-4 Thru Zero VCOs) have been lost; this deviates from the basic aim of the build, namely interesting timbral variety.

The only thing that I can see that's got an exponential response is the A-138 in the lower cab. -- Lugia

I intend to use this as the final output, plugging either a pair of headphones into here or using a longer cable with a 1/4" adaptor to go into my external passive mixer (Art SPLITMix4) which connects to the home stereo system. From what I've read online, it's common to use the A-138 as the final output. Also common, from what I've read, is people using linear VCAs almost exclusively, even for audio, contrary to the received wisdom in lin=cv, exp=audio. So I think I'm going to try my luck with linear VCAs and adapt if the need becomes obvious.

Added an external input/envelope follower for processing external sources. -- Lugia

This, instead of the FX insert that I plan to use to bring a few interesting pedals into the signal path. You mentioned you were torn about the this module, but I'm keen the keep it along with the reverb and bit crusher, which latter ought to prove interesting for cv too.

And the 2/3/4-position VC Switch is down at the end of the sequencer, where it needs to be to shift from dual 8 to single 16 CV row behavior. -- Lugia

My impression is that the A-150 Dual VCS is sufficient for shifting from dual 8 to single 16 CV row behavior on the sequencer. Is that not the case? That would free up the s/3/4-position A-151 Sequential Switch for more interesting applications.

Plus, by swapping the sequencing modules to the "flat" row, you now have the system's primary controller where it belongs. -- Lugia

I've read that the sequencer or controller may not fit comfortably in the "flat" row due to the power supply; I had originally intended to place it there until I read that. It's not a dealbreaker for me at all.

So, I want to thank you again for engaging in this exercise with me. Given my resistance to your radical revisions, I imagine it might feel like thankless work, so I want to make sure I have enough gratitude buffer in here.

I want to conclude by reiterating this general question: given the stated aim (the ability to generate a broad palette of interesting "experiemental" and evolving timbres and textures; generative patches; loads of modulation; loads of flexibilty; both control and room for the unexpected; a unique, personalized instrument), am I actually falling short functionality-wise in the sense of failing to realize the aim? I grant that the aim could be achieved differently and with smaller modules, but that's another matter.

Cheers Lugia!