Your groove box approach is how I got into modular, and I couldn't be happier. It's fun to build and use a completely 100% personalized instrument. Including a few drum modules is probably a good idea as you are starting out. Maybe that will be exactly what you were looking for, or if not you can always sell them on Reverb for a fair amount. I've bought and sold a few clunkers, but like you, I try to do a good bit of research before buying. If I know I'm just not going to use something after I try to incorporate it into my setup, I don't get attached to it and sell it. As far as being able to modulate a bunch of different parameters, those WMD percussion modules I mentioned are excellent. I got the Crucible and may pick up the Crater, though I probably don't really need that one.

It sounds like we have similar approach to this. Although, I can see how difficult it will be to stay restrained. I went to YouTube to watch some videos about the Roland TR-8 but was distracted by Red Means Recording review's of Rample and QD and now I have a copy of what he was using in the videos as something to think about as a later possible addition. I'm probably not the first person to wish for a Doctor Who Rack that fits on the lap but holds infinite modules? (Whispers: l a p t o p) ¯_(ツ)_/¯

(I'm not sure why it is showing, for me, an early mostly empty version here in the thread)
ModularGrid Rack

Yes, the Elektron stuff is way too menu-divey for me. Their stuff sounds great and they have their diehard fanbase, but there is a steep learning curve and I lean more towards "one knob, one function" and not pages of menus, submenus, file subfolders, button combinations, alternate button combinations, etc. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. My workflow just appreciates the Roland and x0x-style sequencing for drums. Once you start building your personalized groove box, you'll know if you need to add outboard gear to get the results you're looking for.

Again, we are on the same page. For the most part I'm not a fan of deep menus. I am impressed with what I see other people do with the electrons but watching someone use one just irks me. I will eventually go watch some videos on the Roland TR-8 just so I have in the back of my head what it offers.

I'll take a look at your updated rack plans now.
Take care!
-- farkas

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I was struggling to cover all of the bases. I still need to read up on the new modules you included but my gut feels is this is a great start that will keep my busy for a very long time. I like the look of the Intellijel cases but after you suggested the TipTop I see its half the price and has it's own charms and POWER. Ok, time to get familiar with everything you added.

Thank you, Again.