Hehe. I actually recently retired from 31 years in software management at Apple so frugality is not one of my hallmark characteristics. Being a slob and loving to build stuff from scratch my entire life is, which is why so much looks (and is) DIY.

good for you!!! but in that case - why b-company crap?

I've had macbooks/mbps for 15 years or so and always recommend them over anything else - I caught on to the IBM philosophy even earlier than they did - support is the real expense, especially if you can deprecate your hardware... I really like Logic Pro, but the office software is still unfortunately poor compared to Office... but I use it as it comes pre-installed and free

Muxlicer build video - much better idea... non-controversial - did you buy a kit or source your
own components?

For a company like Befaco I find that they provide high quality parts and I buy their full set. Some others (I won't mention names) use really poor quality parts, or parts that don't actually fit (very aggravating) so I buy the PCB and panel and dd my own parts from my bench stock or buy from Mouser, AmplifiedParts, Thonk, or others.

I try to buy pcb/panel sets because I have a fair amount of stock on hand ,so mostly I just need to buy the odd IC and restock passives - so unusual sized resistors is a PITA

the correct sized part is TME and not mouser! - TME is where befaco buy their components >from... found out after!

Yeah, Befaco is interesting. Has anyone ever found out why their circuit board traces have curves and curly bits vs. the relatively straight traces everyone else uses? I've asked them with no response....

I put it down to Iberian aesthetics...

can we rate you compared to SynthDIYGuy? extra points for swearing, self-deprecating humour, >burning yourself, desoldering accidents etc etc! he gets nil points for any of those - so you might >be on a winner!

Rate away. I have evolved over my life from "smartass kid" to "overbearing know-it-all" to my now current "grumpy old man" personas, and it's all fun.

hahah - too true - I'm rapidly becoming a grumpy old man - 52 next week!

Want to see extreme DIY? Here's a snapshot of my testing rack in my workshop, truly a lashup.
shoprack

-- Ravenware

really like your testing rack - wish I could justify one - probably could if I really wanted to - I just usually check the continuity/grounding with a multimeter - and then hook it up to a spare fc power supply to check nothing blows up before sticking it in one of the racks to test properly - mostly works - but I have blown up a few wall warts in the process

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities