Well all my Mutable modules are either originals or DIY built by me, I've got Rings and Plaits and have a full size Elements in my DIY backlog - hopefully I'll get round to it sometime in the next 6 months or so!

So I really don't see a problem with having both Rings and a 2hp pluck - both have the 4 note polyphony going on - think of it like a rock band with 2 guitarists...

Nice! I love the idea of a DIY Plaits and Rings if I can find them… may I ask where you sourced them?

My Rings and Plaits are originals - they are in the really difficult levels of DIY mutable - you'll want to work your way up to them - if you haven't done any smd DIY yet I'd recommend starting with something a lot more DIY friendly (branches or shades for example or a nlc triple sloth or a nobots buffered mult) - generally you can buy pcbs and panels from pushermanproductions, amazingsynths or synthcube and the components from thonk (panel furniture) and mouser or whoever you usually buy your electronics components from - all the mutable modules are open-sourced on Emilie's github (pichonettes)

I think if you are going to get more than a couple of sound sources I'd be tempted to swap the turning machine out for something like Marbles (which is effectively 3 turing machines + grids)

Hmmm…. Interesting concept. I do have a soft spot for the diy nature of the Turing machine though…. It’s still on its way to me in Canada, so we’ll see how I get along with it and whether I want to expand on its concept and capabilities.

a matrix mixer is a phenomenal utility to add for deriving more interesting modulation cv from a limited number of sources - mult a few to it and mix them together to get another 4 modulation signals for example (or use it for send/return or feedback patching) - so versatile!

-- JimHowell1970

Hmmm… Well you learn something every day! Lol… I had kind of dismissed matrix mixers. But that comes from not really understanding their function. Looks like I have a new topic to research! Gosh this rabbit hole just keeps going deeper, doesn’t it? Ha ha!

absolutely deeper and deeper and deeper - I started with a 6u/72hp rack and I'm now about to hit about 1800hp of rack space! which I am hoping will last me through until the end of next year - unless I need a 2nd tiptop mantis for performing...

don't go anywhere near video though - hahaha - I did - see: https://www.instagram.com/jimhowell1970/ - but be warned it's another pill to swallow down that rabbit hole...

Definitely need to get some delay into my chain as well! I’ve been on a Pink Floyd kick the last few days, especially the Wish You Were Here, Meddle and Momentary Lapse of Reason albums…. Delay in boatloads and 2 guitarists!

Cheers!

== Aaron

-- aheath73

yeah delay and reverb go a long way - you might want to look at the happy nerding fx aid (xl) as you can get both with modulation and bit crushing in stereo (or use as dual mono) in a single module that way (plus there are over 100 different algos that you can load into the 32 slots)

pink floyd!!! I was just thinking what to listen to whilst doing the washing up... and now I know! thanks

Ummagumma it is!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities