About prices, I put a cap of 1000$.
-- bling12345

Here's the thing with modular: it's darn expensive, I mean look at the average MINIMUM price Lugia put up for a BASIC build, it already costs double your budget, and I'd says that average price is probably already squeezing all the value out of every dollar. Forget about cheap and good, there's some functions you can get for cheap thanks to manufacturers like Ladik, but that's still cheap in Eurorack terms, not actually cheap. If you pay cheap, you get cheap, not necessarily in terms of build quality but rather module design, functionality per HP, etc. There's DIY as well, but you need to be a little handy with an iron, and that's still just cheaper, not cheap.

Honestly, for that amount of money, I don't think there's a way to get both into patching little cables and getting an efficient/interesting instrument to use for music production. What you will get is a setup that will offer less functionality than a "regular" synth around the same price, and that means that at some point you will have to invest more money to transform that "basic starter setup" into something that can do more than say an Elektron Analog 4. I get the interest for modular (I wouldn't be here if I didn't) but you need to understand what it means financially. I personally love the idea of the 0-Easel so if you insist on going Eurorack, I'd start with that, at least it makes for a unique interesting instrument and a lot of exploration...

--- Voltage control all the things ---