whenever someone recommends a shiny new expensive module - remember to look around and see what else there is that will do the same thing (or almost the same thing) for less money!
-- JimHowell1970

Sure, you might be right with that, but there is a huge difference between the lion and the doepfer 138m. The lion isn't more expensive without a reason. And for his use case the lion is suitable. The doepfer is not (or almost not).

-- MillionJT

@MillionJT - you may be right - I'm just a little skeptical - so I took a look at the spec for the lion (just the description here) and apart from the 'expensive pin matrix' (which is one of the 2 obvious reasons why lion is more expensive, the other being that it's built in Scotland and not China) and the black panel - I really don't see a lot of difference between the 2 - they're both matrix mixers at the end of the day...

it could be that the lion can add a lot of gain, but I don't see that in the specs - and if that's the case you could easily patch say +20db of gain in via Veils or something

so could you please explain why the lion is more suitable as a matrix mixer than the doepfer for no input mixing? or is it just differently suitable (ie the lion has this extra function that you would need another module for)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities