this user has left ModularGrid

Indeed and you will need way more rack space than you think. I filled my first 6u case that had one row of 84HP Doepfer A100 Basic modules and one empty row of 84HP. Fortunately, Doepfer A100 Basic system gave me an understanding of what I need besides the one VCO, one LFO and one filter. Most of the first row is the boring but essential modules like clock divider, slew/function, sample & hold/noise and a mult module.

One suggestion would be to play around with VCV Rack watch some of the many tutorials on patching that first and then perhaps buy a prebuilt system that has free expansion space. Doepfer makes solid kits that teach the basics and still sound darn good. I created some good kick bass drums and acid bass lines with one VCO and one filter using the boring but key utility modules.
Then I added to it with more utility like a quad VCA, buffered 4 channel mult since the passive one that came with the system does not have the benefit of a buffered mult like maintain CV when patching and then more envelopes and a small sequencer. So out of the free 84HP, the only fancy modules added were a cool Richter Anti-Oscillator and Richter Borg filter that give me dual oscillators and dual filters and modes in two modules.

Now with my second Doepfer 6U case on the way and a few more modules mostly utility ones too by the way like Kinks and Links, I am looking forward to building my skills. I then realize larger modules will require a very large travel case like 9u-12u that can house 400HP for me to make buying large modules worthwhile. Which is fine because I am learning modular and don't need giant sized do all modules but rather basic functions that can mix and create cool stuff.