Here is a follow-up and my current thinking:

ModularGrid Rack

What I have so far:

1u row except for the Zeroscope, BIA, Ripples, Maths, Quad VCA, Pamela's New Workout, Akemie's Castle, Atlantis and a Beatstep Pro. The Zadar is pre-ordered.

Modules were bought in stages and in my first pass I used Ableton to sequence thru the uMIDI. That was great for getting up to speed, but after considering the 3 primary sound sources, I decided to hold off on sequencing in the case and picked up a BSP, which works great and is close enough to being a physical experience rather than a computer driven one since there is no mouse tempting me to tweak something minuscule in the sequencing.

For the time being, I am mostly running only two things at a time (e.g., a BIA/Atlantis duet or a Akemie/Atlantis duet) with each taking an out channel in the case. The two channels go into an audio interface into two tracks in Live for effects, mostly delay and reverb. Live can also supply the drum machine or other accompaniment.

The goal is still to have the option to move entirely out of the computer for playing. I am probably going to go the route of an external mixer and per this thread I posted:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/3696

(As an aside, there is a great link there to a Muff Wiggler forum thread on the technical details about the audio levels...)

I am going to look at something with lots of headroom and see if it can handle the signal strength of the modular. If not, I'll probably follow Lugia's advice in that thread and look into supplementing the Intellijel case's outs with Ladik P-530s. If that is needed, it would likely take up some/all of the space of the Varigate 4+ in this latest iteration.

I am grateful for all the advice here, but a few points that I have acted on are Lugia's note that the Akemie's Castle will eat up modulation and envelopes and Ronin's comments about letting the case tell you what it wants next (in so many words). Since I was compelled to get my hands on the tactile FM that is AC, but also mindful of these comments, I got the Pamela. It's is a great source of timed modulation in a relatively small space and I can't wait for the Zadar to show up.

Thanks for all the feedback so far and keep them coming if you have any comments about the current iteration.