I don't have such a problem with using the computer to manipulate controls, etc, probably because I've been doing that so long I either don't notice, or VCV's UI coding is good enough that it doesn't drive me up the wall. As a basic learning tool for the underlying concepts of modular synthesis, I'd have to say that it's unparalleled at this point. Everything behaves like it should, albeit up to a point.

That point is, as I noted, when VCV Rack runs into its processor limitation. And I wasn't too pleased when I got a snarky reply from the developer as to the possibility of it having multiprocessor capabilities in the future. To me, that's a problem, and it's also a problem when the primary developer refers to a professional musician as a 'layperson', as if the point of the VCV project is the coding and not the end-use. It struck me as unprofessional, and gave me certain concerns for the long-term usability of VCV at a large-scale level if the intentions don't involve creating something pro-grade. For cobbling 20-30 modules together to do virtual basic builds, it's fine. But if I want to construct something extremely complex and sizable as to scale...as I've found...it's not going to work after a certain point because timing issues, severe audio glitches, and the like begin to creep in as it hits the top-end limit of the sole processor core it runs on. That's unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Consequently, I've been doing a lot less long-term work with it over the past week, after discovering that critical limitation and the developer's apparent unwillingness/inability to address it. I'll keep an eye on it, however, and hopefully this will get dealt with by the time we reach the 1.0 iteration...but I'm not holding my breath.

As for the Behringer Neutron...again, not holding my breath. It took them quite some time to start delivering the Model D in any sizable quantities after making it 'available' to retailers, and despite the fact that some beta users have prototypes, to me, that means nothing. My suggestion would be to avoid Uli's vaporware and instead look at patchables from manufacturers that put product out, instead of teasing about it until hell freezes over; IMHO, Uli Behringer needs to shut the f**k up, quit trolling certain forums to cadge marketing ideas, and stop doing cheezeball renders of 'new products' and hyping his 'development' of things that, frankly, already existed and which shouldn't require much 'developing' in order to bring them up to speed for the 21st century.