Thanks for taking the time to rely, I appreciate your input! I think you pointed out some things that I wasn't (very) aware of.

this is a common mistake - these cases are really too small for anything other than satellite cases for bigger systems or extremely focused single purpose synths...

Yes, maybe I was too focused on staying small and 62HP is indeed not enough. As an alternative plan, I looked at the Arturia RackBrute 6U with almost 3x the space. (You can find a rack sketch in my profile.)

This might me the perfect size for me actually because it can (for now) fit my Neutron as well. The Neutron supports Eurorack rails and would be a great utility kit for the other modules: 2 VCOs, LFO, VCF, two ENVs, S&H, and even a delay! I can already see that this makes so much sense if I can interface those with my new modules.

Of course the Neutron takes up most of one row, but I can always take it out later when my module collection grows and I need the extra space.

which means no way to generate 'composed' sequences of pitch (there are ways to do this even with a steppy, but not without a dedicated mixer) plus if you want to make 'music' which fits in with other instruments you will almost definitely need a quantizer...

Yes I'm aware of that, maybe I didn't make it clear. My main sequencer is the Digitakt which sends MIDI/CV (and I have a Keystep too.) Hence for now I probably don't need pitch sequencing/quantization in my rack. I was thinking more about having some means of looping CV inputs or envelope triggers that go beyond what an LFO can do. But maybe I'll go with some Marbles clone instead...

I'd want vcas as well... at least a quad...

Good point, but let's compromise on 2 VCAs + 2 LPGs ;-)

• Cascades and Brooks - I first considered the NANO ONA but now moved on to (part of) the After Later Audio COCO series, with the "Cascades" as the main oscillator and "Brooks" as secondary.

I think 2 oscillators in this size case is too many... and you probably need more modules to support them... a mixer for example

I forgot about a mixer, it's good that you bring it up. As for oscillators: The Brooks interfaces nicely with Cascades and doesn't take much space. I figure that additional VCOs would be great for wave-folding (and also for LFO purposes). But actually, now I'm thinking of ditching the Timber for the Valley by After Later Audio, which is also part of their COCO series.

hmm... I suggest some time spent thinking about the contents of my signature...

So you're telling me I need more controls/utilities? I added a bunch in my new rack, and then I'd now also have the Neutron. That ought to be enough for my first steps.

I take it you have an external mixer for end of chain mixing?

how are you going to raise the levels of the external synths to modular level fir processing?

Yes I run my other synths into an external mixer to get a line out/headphone signal. Eurorack output would plug into that as well. But like you said, I'd want a mixer in my rack for some down mix/level adjustment for sure.