Happy Nerding FX Aid XL and 3X VCA
Frap Tools 321
Filter
-- jb61264

I was thinking about that FX Aid XL but is there a point in having it when I already have Erica Synths Black Hole DSP?

What would be the best filter to get right now? Possibly not the cleaniest one, or it doesn't matter?
Frap Tools 321 - is it similar to how Veils work? How can I utilize it in my setup efficiently?

And a very noob question - most voices like Manis Iteritas are mono.. am I right? I'm a total beginner and was a bit surprised that when plugging it (Manis) to Erica's Black Mixer it gives my the mono audio only.

-- Arrus

I'm new to modular as well, but before jumping into anything I did quite a bit of reading/research and asked a lot of questions here and elsewhere. There will be others on MG that are far better at answering your questions than I am :)

With such a small setup (I have a Rackbrute 6U as well)...taking up HP with larger modules like the Black Hole (16HP) when you can use something like FX Aid XL (6HP) makes no sense. You have an extra 10HP to use on other utilities if you switch them out. Not bashing the Black Hole at all (never used it or read any reviews about it)...but with a smaller setup like this, you should focus on smaller modules that give you similar features/functionality. That Hermod sequencer is nice, but you could probably find a smaller HP sequencer that will do what you are wanting. I bought an ornament & crime module that can do some sequencing (and a million other things too) in 8HP but also bought a Beatstep Pro as the main sequencer in my setup (so I'm not taking any HP in my setup for a sequencer).

Filters are really a matter of personal taste...there are many flavors out there...some with a very specific characteristic (Jove by System80 emulates the Roland Jupiter 6) and some which give you a wide variety of potential characteristics (Neutron Flux by Supercritical Synthesizers).

321 is quite different to Veils...I would recommend spending some time reading up on the two to discover what those differences are...Veils is a VCA where 321 is more of a "utility" module.

JB