I mean, there's a reason you see this advice a lot.
The truth is, you could probably get a more useful synth by starting with a $180 used Behringer Crave. It's a semi-modular monosynth with a decent filter, sequencer, envelopes, LFOs, I/O mixer, VCA, and patch points so you can expand into Eurorack later. You're going to need a lot of functions at the same time to get anything out of modular. If you stick to your original plan, you will need that extra Nifty Case before you can even blink. It's not a cheap hobby, unfortunately, and getting the sounds in your head out from this format likely isn't going to happen without a sizable investment (whether upfront or long term).
Your proposed plan has an oscillator, a resonator with tiny knobs, a filter/VCA combo, a sequencer, and a menu-divey multi-function module. How will you control pitch AND amplitude over time? How will you clock your sequencer if you want to use the Chips LFO for one of those other tasks? How will you introduce randomness? How will you modulate the frequency and resonance of your filter at the same time as opening and closing your VCAs? Will you need effects like reverb and delay? Simply put, there's a lot of functions in a good synthesizer, and until you have those functions (and usually more than one of each), you won't be able to synthesize a wide range of sounds.
I'd like you to see your ideas come to life, so I'm helping you set expectations about what you might be able to get out of a tiny rack. You will almost instantly see the limitations of something this size.
Have fun and good luck.