You also can sleep better at night because of possible DC signal on your output will be filtered away if you use a proper audio interface module; though your mixer might take care of that too, but as I said, I sleep much better at night knowing I don't need to worry about all that because I am using an audio interface module. Up to you of course but you can't say you haven't been warned :-)

-- GarfieldModular

Almost all interfaces are AC-coupled - which will filter out any low frequency DC signals
If your interface is DC coupled, then rejoice - you can use it for CV too (Expert Sleepers and RME for example)

Yes modular levels are much higher than line level, but almost all mixers/audio interfaces can cope with this - either through turning their gain down - or by attenuating on the way out - which is a lot of what most output modules do - they may also alter the impedance and "balance" the signal - but these are unnecessary

In my experience (I don't have an output module) sending straight from modules to a mixer is fine - sometimes you get a bit of unwanted clipping - just turn the signal down a bit before hitting the mixer (I use a small old yamaha one at the moment)

For me the only reasons to get an output module of any sort would be either I need headphone out directly from the modular (I have a rebel technology mix02 for this, when I need it) or because I was playing out a lot - in which case balanced outs would make sense - for longer cable runs to FOH mixer

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities