So I bought the Rides In The Storm 'SED' filter. At first I wanted the copy of the famous Moog modular filter from Behringer (the 904A) but it was sold out everywhere. And it's meant for the typical way that the Moog modular system of the late 60's works. Hmmmm. Module after module appeared not to work the way I thought/expected, so I went safe and bought 2 modules (EG and Filter) from the same manufacturer.

I'd grab a midi->cv module soonish - using v/oct for the cutoff is a classic technique...

I like the Dreadbox 'Eudemonia' 24 dB/oct filter too, but I read in it's manual that the CV needs to be operated at -5 V to +5 V (which is the standard for an LFO, not an envelope generator). The other input is labelled 1V/oct which I think is meant for keyboard tracking, not an envelope (the 'SED''s got both!). Getting into modular is hard if you ain't got no experience yet.

see above re: v/oct...

I'm not sure I'd have got into modular just to get a filter - there are 'pedals' that can do that - especially for the moog filter - a moogerfooger lpf would have done the job - expensive and only available on the used market in hardware form - but may have alleviated the modular bug/gas! also I think dreadbox make or made some standalone filters and then there's teh obvious sherman filter bank etc...

re the voltage mismatch: this is what offset modules are for - something like the happy nerding 3 * mia, for example - attenuate/attenuvert and offset... it's why we keep saying utilities are so important... (see signasture)

Anyway, I'm more than happy with the two. They have a ton of functionality, some of it a bit "under the hood". For many modules the manual ain't very good/informative. I might post my personals "how to" I wrote down in a text document on the two.

Gonna buy me an evelope follower with Gate functionality soon so I can use the filter with an audio siganl (like an auto-Wah).
-- MeneerJansen

envelope follower with gate is a good idea - always useful - you might want more envelopes then though!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities