I have to agree that the Nifty Case is very, very tempting. Maybe a nice "extra" portable mini-modular setup (for later on after buying your first serious case) if you don't mind the 200 bucks...
-- MeneerJansen

The Niftycase will last me a while but there may be a time when I will have to move on.
I think I have found what will be my serious case - Rackbrute 6U ( but then i'll have to buy an output module...oh the financial pain!)

-- EuroBadger

I took the "El Cheapo" plunge a few days ago and bought me a Nifty Case and 2 very small modules. I think it'll last me quite a while though. Because nowadays thare are a mother-load of modules to choose from that are only 4 to 8 HP wide. For instance good ol' Doepfer (which, if I'm not mistaken, is a very well respected brand in the community), Rides In The Storm and Erica Synths with their "Pico" range. It forces you to keep your setup small and "workable".

Another pro of a small rack it that it's so easy to fit into your setup/work space or even to take with you to a friends' house to jam. In another topic there's a discussion on what people rather have: a few smaller racks or a big one againts the wall in a fixed place in the house. Some like a collection of 104 cases better...