Hey joesh,
I wanted to share my opinion on Stages vs Maths, since that's a decision I also made not that long ago.
I went with Stages and it's a lovely module. however I also have an additional Analog function Generator in my Rack. [...]. It's weird to describe but it really drools with the Mutable Instruments way of doing stuff.
I love it, but you might not.

All the Best
Chris
-- Cangore

Hi Chris, that's great thanks.

I guess when it comes to Maths vs Alternative, it seems I'll probably have to make a decision, and then just try it. As most people, it's not really the idea of not having Maths, more the idea of trying something else. I have to admit Falistri looks very interesting from what I've seen when watching reviews and demos. However, apart from Mod Wiggler discussions, which some seem very positive concerning Stages, I was intrigued to understand that you can loop your 6 waves to use as LFOs, or envelopes, and more (it seems). In comparison Falistri only has 2 loop-able possibilities (please correct me if I'm wrong)? But, on the other hand, there seems to be other features which make Falistri very tempting.

Anyhow, I guess the search goes on for what fits best where. So, I'll probably make a plunge next week and order some - or most of the modules - up on the rack and see how it works out. I just have to decide on a suitable case, preferably powered, and then press ..... buy!

I thought this review/tutorial (which I'm sure you all know) seemed to put the alternative Maths problem into context: